SkyscraperCity banner

1321 - 1340 of 1819 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's a hard line to walk. Always sad to see cities fail to find uses for these awesome, colossal mid-century structures.
I could live in this Palazzo. :)

Another fine place to live...

Sky Building Number 3,
Yoji Watanabe,
Tokyo, 1970-72.

by
silentbox.web.fc2
view_image/new-sky-building
http://www.michaeljohngrist.com
blog.livedoor.jp

ground plan
http://betterarchitecture.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/sky-buildg-plan-watanabe.jpg

Very great pictures I have no words to explain the beauty of these buildings.
I love this building too. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
The last one reminds me of the hotel from The Shining
You mean the floor?

A few more pictures.

Sorry for the mass, but it's so fantastic.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Centro Cultural Miguel Ángel Asturias (1978)

I bring you today a big icon from Guatemala City: Miguel Ángel Asturias Cultural Center. The construction started in 1961, but after the fall of the president at the time and the death of the architect in 1962, it was stopped with only the foundations completed. Years later, a new design competition was held, in which painter, sculptor and architect Efraín Recinos (which btw, is one of my artistic heroes :D) won. The design was inspired in one of Guatemala's most famous animals, the jaguar. It was also a very innovative style for its days, and even now. The Center has one principal hall for 3000 people, another secondary hall for 500 people and an open air theatre.

I'm sure this is a weird building and not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. To me, it's like a big sculpture. By the way, the building exterior has never been painted :D

(1/3)

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
(2/3)

Exterior:

Open air theatre:

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
(3/3)

Interior:

Great Hall:

Reactions: j-biz and The_Fox

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
^^ What do you think?

·
Registered
181 Posts
^^ What do you think?
Very interesting...
The building has a bold design with many beautiful, impressive details. It looks like a combination of expressive elements (like Einstein Tower Image) and... and... and something else. :D
Maybe it's the two phases of construction...?
For me doesn't really compatible in some places, to come across stuck on... outside on the big blue box or in the hall (formed on the sides very sculptural and in the middle not).
I hope this is understandable. :D
Btw. the chairs are not beauties, please change.

nice and funny!

Beautiful!

This is my favorite!

Amazing building, there I would very much like to have a cup of tea. :)

It looks run-down, rusty and messy now, but I bet it looked amazing when it opened.
Rusty or new, in that case both are very charming.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
By the way, that's the statue of Efrain Recinos, the architect that designed this. I true genius, in my opinion. :) He made lots of different amazing designs, but the government never supported him, so all we have now is lots of great drawings and utopias, plus his sculptures and mosaics. He died in 2011.

Reactions: j-biz

·
rasorio caelum civitatem
1,310 Posts
Gateway Arch pt 1

While I'm sure it's not new to any of you, and not technically a building either, the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri holds a special place in my heart. It was designed by Eero Saarinen and completed in 1965 as a memorial to the United States' westward expansion, a process in which St. Louis played a key role. In fact, the city is still commonly referred to as the "Gateway to the West." At 630 ft tall, it's the tallest monument in the US.

Downtown St. Louis by dmvcomics, on Flickr

U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Justin D. Pyle

St Louis Arch Reflection by ken_class, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Everything Eero Saarinen did was awesome. I love Gateway Arch, didn't know you could go inside :)

1321 - 1340 of 1819 Posts