SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
Wasn't impressed by the soundtrack to the fireworks in London this year compared to last year - and frankly, its uncomfortable that we now have to explicitly state that 'London is open'. I also think its time to shake it up a bit - the London Eye is impressive but expected now. 2012 was impressive with the fireworks shot from Big Ben too for example.

I was in Edinburgh for Hogmanay this year. They really know how to do it compared to London; multiple stages across the centre, countdown fireworks on the hour; much more entertainment throughout the evening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wasn't impressed by the soundtrack to the fireworks in London this year compared to last year - and frankly, its uncomfortable that we now have to explicitly state that 'London is open'. I also think its time to shake it up a bit - the London Eye is impressive but expected now. 2012 was impressive with the fireworks shot from Big Ben too for example.

I was in Edinburgh for Hogmanay this year. They really know how to do it compared to London; multiple stages across the centre, countdown fireworks on the hour; much more entertainment throughout the evening.
Agreed. They should upgrade to 5 barges on the River instead of 3 and bring back the Big Ben fireworks. I notice a lot of the fireworks they use are similar to what they use before there is this blue one which always seems to be used. I hope that once the new developments round the Shell centre are complete they can do it on the roof-top there as-well. Or even use Lasers and Projectors to improve the display.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
Agreed. They should upgrade to 5 barges on the River instead of 3 and bring back the Big Ben fireworks. I notice a lot of the fireworks they use are similar to what they use before there is this blue one which always seems to be used. I hope that once the new developments round the Shell centre are complete they can do it on the roof-top there as-well. Or even use Lasers and Projectors to improve the display.
Indeed. There were lasers and projectors used in Edinburgh. I know it has a much more impressive natural setting than London which helps hugely, but London needs to be stating itself as a global capital more than ever before. Surprise and wow the world - don't just do the same every year.

Tower Bridge/The Shard/Tower of London would work for fireworks, or using more Westminster landmarks as you mention, St. Pauls Dome/Tate Modern could also work.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

We didn't watch it, not intentionally but because we knew it would be predictable.. big wheel, music, fireworks, same format as previous years. I live down under and I think it's the same here with Sydney and Melbourne.. and to sound like a proper sour puss, the crowds put me off entirely attending these events but each to their own I suppose.

However, we popped up to Edinburgh after Christmas last year and saw the Hogmanay preps.. I'm very curious to experience that, London not so much!

·
Registered
24,159 Posts
Tower Bridge/The Shard/Tower of London would work for fireworks, or using more Westminster landmarks as you mention, St. Pauls Dome/Tate Modern could also work.
At the end of the day it comes down to cost, which includes security and policing. With 16 years of the London Eye being the backdrop the security cordons are well known and concentrated on one area of city. Having it spread over multiple landmarks would be too risky in today's age.

It will also be interesting once residents move into South Bank Place and their influence on the fireworks, no doubt someone will complain at some point about them being on their doorstep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At the end of the day it comes down to cost, which includes security and policing. With 16 years of the London Eye being the backdrop the security cordons are well known and concentrated on one area of city. Having it spread over multiple landmarks would be too risky in today's age.

It will also be interesting once residents move into South Bank Place and their influence on the fireworks, no doubt someone will complain at some point about them being on their doorstep.
But even just a couple more barges and the return of the Big Ben Fireworks for the chimes would be a good start. The money they are taking from the public should be put towards the display on the following year. I am hoping ATLEAST for 2020 a spectacular show is done to start the new decade unlike 2010.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
In the second shot - with the 2017 lit up on Tower 42, one can only guess how that view would have looked from a past perspective of 'the future'. The only thing missing is the flying cars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the first picture 20 Fenchurch Street's little discussed optical camouflage cloaking technology is switched on. With great success - you can hardly tell it's there.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Taken a few days ago from the extension on the Tate. I think this view will become one of the best for the City skyline once the under construction towers are up. The Scalpel will do a nice job of filling some of the gap between the Walkie Talkie and the rest

London by barnyz, on Flickr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks all you. I find the pictures taken by some of the members on here to be truly inspirational and sometimes it feels almost wrong to post my offerings amongst them. I don't get to London as often as I did a couple of years ago, but I have two tripsnext summer I'll have some more to share.

·
Founder of the 'Gy'.
3,121 Posts
To think, those buildings in front were at the heart of the maritime trade that created the buildings behind. For right or for wrong, I love the connection across time in that view.

·
Registered
839 Posts
To think, those buildings in front were at the heart of the maritime trade that created the buildings behind. For right or for wrong, I love the connection across time in that view.
i agree, i really love the contrast between old and new, one of the reasons why London is great!

1 - 20 of 314 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.