Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all you New Yorkers: Which part of the city do you live in? What's your favorite part about it? What's it like? Safe? Affordable or expensive?

I ask this, being just plain interested, and being somewhat interested of living in NYC oneday. I fully intend to move to Chicago in the coming years, but it's always fun to just weigh your options.

Thanks!

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
Live in Ridgewood, it has trees :sleepy: , it's unsafe, dirty, but usually somewhat quiet.

I don't pay we own a house.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Tree-line streets with small, single family cookie-cutter homes, sprawling victorians, mansions, row-houses, and some 6-8 story apartment buildings, pre-war. Bustling mom-and-pop stores on 3rd and 5th aves, no big boxes around here :) Shore Park winds 2.5 miles along NY Harbor, and the 69th street pier, with awesome and I mean AWESOME views of the verrazano, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, and Lower Manhattan. Fort Hamilton Army Base, Dyker Beach Golf Course nearby, R subway line on 4th avenue. Safe, quiet, racially diverse, basically middle class, but those in the mansions are beyond even upper middle class.

Love this hood.

·
Registered
208 Posts
north end of brooklyn heights, brooklyn

amazingly beautiful and very historic, tons of brownstones, ancient wooden rowhouses, parks, tree-lined streets, VERY safe, and most importantly...

INSANELY EXPENSIVE

Prices here recently caught up with the most expensive parts of manhattan ($20 million for a rowhouse). thats why i live in a teeny tiny studio - but at least no roomies, and its rent stabilized!

move to chicago if you want space. i prefer the glory of NYC over sq. footage....incomparable.

·
chek ur hed
473 Posts
Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn; part of what is commonly known as South Brooklyn or Brownstone Brooklyn encompassing the Gardens, Cobble Hill, Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights. Rents and sales are nearing the prices in nearby Brooklyn Heights.

From the air:

On the street:

Description:
Carroll Gardens is the new name for the area which, until the mid-1960's, was considered part of Red Hook.* Its history goes back to the purchase of a large tract of land by the Dutch West India Company from the Mohawk Indians in 1636, later known as Gowanus.* During the Revolutionary War, a number of forts were erected to protect the inhabitants.* One such fortification was just west of the Historic District on Bergen's Hill, between Smith and Court Streets near First Place.

*** Early 19th century development was determined by commercial interests in the Gowanus and Red Hook areas.* After 1835, miles of streets were laid out in South Brooklyn.* The names of the streets within the District reflect the early origins of Carroll Gardens:* Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence Samuel Smith, a Brooklyn mayor and Charles Hoyt, a local real estate speculator.

****** Colonel Daniel Richards, a successful merchant, was instrumental in the commercial development of South Brooklyn.* He built many warehouses and factories at the Atlantic Docks, and the Atlantic Basin was enlarged, which increased the prosperity of South Brooklyn.* Richards also devised a plan to construct the Gowanus barge canal whose purpose was to serve the industrial area one mile inland.* It was hoped that the canal would also drain a large trace of marshland bordering the Gowanus Creek and rid the area of disease and fever, thereby, enhancing the value of the area for further commercial and residential development.* Richards' plan for the construction of the Gowanus Canal was officially approved by the New York State Legislature in 1849.* No construction took place, however, until after 1867, when dredging of the Gowanus Creek was provided for by an Act of the State Legislature.

*** Another important citizen who was indirectly influential in the development of the area of the Historic District was Henry Pierrepont of Brooklyn Heights.* In 1838 he organized the corporation which acquired the highest ground in King's County for the site of Green-Wood Cemetery, New York's first cemetery to have been laid out as a romantically landscaped park.* With Jacob E. Leroy, a fellow philanthropist, Pierrepont conceived and implemented a ferry service "for the better accommodation of funerals and passengers to Green-Wood Cemetery."* Known as the Hamilton Avenue Ferry, it began service in 1846 and this added service was a great impetus to the development of the entire area and that now occupied by the Carroll Gardens Historic District.* Horse cars, superseded in the 1890's* by trolley lines, provided the first rapid transport.* They linked the District to the ferry and to the busy commercial center of Manhattan, so that Brooklyn businessmen in this area could commute to their work and return to their quiet residential community at the end of the day.

*** One of the many amenities of this area is Carroll Park, bounded by Carroll, Smith, President and Court Streets.* It was laid out as a private garden in the late 1840's.* The land for the park was secured through an act of the New York State Legislature in 1850, but was not improved until 1870.* The park was named after Charles Carroll, Maryland's signer of the Declaration of Independence, in honor of the Maryland regiment which defended the "Old Stone House at Gowanus", on Third Street, during the Revolutionary War Battle of Long Island.* The development of the Historic District in the 1870's spurred by its proximity to the park, since it was only natural that this area would become a highly prized residential center.* In addition, the draining of the swampland near the Gowanus Canal in the late 1860's stimulated land speculation east of Smith Street.* At the end of the sixties, construction began in the Historic District.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live in East Midtown and i LOVE my neighborhood because i am in the center of Manhattan, easy access to everything. My neighborhood is mostly office towers and hotels, but the residents that do live on my street are all friendly with each other, know the names of each other's dogs even.My apartment building is a real community. I can walk to the Museum of Modern Art in 5 minutes for spontaneous free Friday evening visits. Central Park is a short walk away. 6,E,V trains downstairs,Grand Central Station just 9 blocks down Lexington. Quick to the Queens airports. Best shopping in the world within blocks. What more can I say! I moved to New York 12 years ago to attend college and will never move away.

·
Registered
346 Posts
thanks Ellatur, been reading here for so long but just found my voice. I enjoy this forum very much and would like to post some NYC pics but can't figure out how. I do not see the 'browse' button they refer to under FAQ. can anyone help?

thanks!

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
MidtownGuy said:
thanks Ellatur, been reading here for so long but just found my voice. I enjoy this forum very much and would like to post some NYC pics but can't figure out how. I do not see the 'browse' button they refer to under FAQ. can anyone help?

thanks!
Host a picture at www.imageshack.us , copy the direct link to image and post it like this:

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more year in god forsaken Mobile, AL. After 24 years of suffering in suburban Sun Belt, i'll hopefully be in NYC for grad school. I've been lurking the NYC board for over a year now, trying to soak in as much NYC info as possible. I've NEVER been to NYC, yet i've always known in my heart that NYC is where I'm supposed to be. A day never passes w/o me thinking/dreaming of life in NYC.

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
same here I live in Navarre, FL near Pensacola and i also will hopefully be in NYC for college. A day never passes w/e me thinking/dreaming of life in NYC too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
damn nymantle and midtownguy, you guys got yourself a nice place! Can you shows us some inside shots?

I envy you guys, I envy all new yorkers :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
kick ass NYMantle - i've always fantasized about living in BPC since I was a kid. What are your thoughts on it? Were you living there on 9-11?

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
gothamaniac said:
kick ass NYMantle - i've always fantasized about living in BPC since I was a kid. What are your thoughts on it? Were you living there on 9-11?
I moved to Battery Park from the West Village over the summer of 2004 and It's a really nice place to live.
The area's always very clean (for the tourists) and quiet because the only major road around here's the West Side Highway, which is about 2 blocks East.
Transportation's accessible anywhere (train, bus, ferry) and there are lots of good parks to relax in.
The only complaint I have is that over the winter, it's pretty cold because it can get extremely windy (the rivers) in Battery Park.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts