SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
As i posted in the other thread:

There's one very important factor that needs to be mentioned here. Residential highrise does not mean commieblock, for instance, instead of building villas and low floor apartments in Oslo, what they could do is build th 20-40 floor condominiums, i.e apartment towers that are of better quality than commieblocks. Instead of single family homes, we could build residential towers like BL Rosenli, and Sameiet St Olav ( The two blue and white highrises in downtown), in Stavanger.

Oslo needs to solve this, and frankly, rich people need to be stacked upwards too, Tjuvholmen has the right idea, but it's not good enough.
Don't get me wrong, Tjuvholmen is an absolute jewel, but it's still not enough.

However, they should not be made tacky, as the Miami style condos, with faux details and ornaments, god those kind of buildings are hideous.

But there will also be more "commieblocks needed" , sorry, but that's a fact that will always remain, we could still make them more tasteful than the ones from the 50's to 60's though. But people with lower incomes do need to live in Oslo too, and it needs to be done cheap.

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suggestions to further development of the city:

1.We could demolish all the low density, detached post-war building at Etterstad and build denser, proper closed of blocks here. Something like this:

2. We should develop Lodalen. We should also continue with Kværnerbyen dense developments behind todays Kværnerbyen.

3. We should try to encourage businesses to build scrapers at Vaterland. This will in turn free up available real estate in the rest of the city.

4. Build proper closed of blocks up along Ekeberg all the way to EKebergsletta.

5. Keep on extended the city towards the fjord, in Groruddalen and towards west like you suggest Hurban. And again this should be done closed of blocks securing that it will have a inner city feeling

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
But there will also be more "commieblocks needed" , sorry, but that's a fact that will always remain, we could still make them more tasteful than the ones from the 50's to 60's though. But people with lower incomes do need to live in Oslo too, and it needs to be done cheap.
Why does it have to be commies, to make cheap apartments?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think there is a lot of wasted space in Oslo, which could be used for something better like housing and/or cultural institutions like museums.

1. Oslo fengsel - a huge building which is just a barrier between Grønland and the east. Why not move this outside the city?

2. The area surrounded by Holbergs gate, St. Olavs gate, Frederiks gate and Kristian IVs gate - I pass by that area every day, but I've never seen anyone go in there, and it looks abandoned.

3. Vippetangen. The area is only used for the ship cruises, when it should be something like the Södermalm district in Stockholm, with hotel ships and restaurant ships and night clubs. Plus a nice park with access to water would be great there. I think the cruise ships should be moved out from there. Another model for this area could be the central peninsula in Bergen (Nordnes?).

4. The parking building on Prinsens gate - prime real-estate wasted on a vertical garrage. Why not put the cars underground and create something there like a hotel or museum or even housing?

5. Sjursøya - just wasted space next to the fjord. Housing would be great here.

6. Highways and railways - these should be hidden and something built on top of them. They are barriers between the city and the fjord, and between different parts of the city.

7. Bislett stadium - useless building which is only used once a year.

8. Parking space in Middelalderparken - the park should be extended over this parking space.

9. The small "corner" buildings in the back of the University on Kristian IVs gate. The area is heavily circulated and these buildings are not used (except one of them for some student parties) and are in the way. I think the university park should be open for everybody day and night and not enclosed by a fence.

10. The building on Maridalsveien on the other side from AHO school, next to Akersberget restaurant. It looks abandoned.

11. Almost all the buildings around Blå look abandoned, on both sides of the river. This is a great area to create something good like night clubs or restaurants.

12. Many buildings near the river north of Sannergata look like abandoned industrial buildings.

13. Abandoned buildings in Svartdalen, although I've heard one of them is used by Bandidos.

14. Abandoned buildings around Youngstorget (one of them was recently occupied by some squatters).

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4. The parking building on Prinsens gate - prime real-estate wasted on a vertical garrage. Why not put the cars underground and create something there like a hotel or museum or even housing?
I think we will see something get proposed here now when they area gets upgraded.

5. Sjursøya - just wasted space next to the fjord. Housing would be great here.
It's used as a port though. Where would Oslo Havn move to?
14. Abandoned buildings around Youngstorget (one of them was recently occupied by some squatters).
The sad thing is that the buildings are owned by the government through Entra. You would have thought they would respect the city more than to just let a bunch of historic buildings standing there abandoned.

·
zing zing zoom
176 Posts
7. Bislett stadium - useless building which is only used once a year.
Far from it. There's activity at Bislett 24/7. Well, almost. Anyways such a central athlete stadium is a great supplement to our city, and I would never even dream of removing it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think we will see something get proposed here now when they area gets upgraded.
The car park is important for kvadraturen and the surrounding areas. Young people might think that making the area accessible for cars is unneccessary, but for the shops and restaurants in the area it is vital.

It's used as a port though. Where would Oslo Havn move to?
There should not be a Oslo Havn. The port should be located outside the city. It does not make sense to transport all sea going merchandise for large parts of south east Norway through the capital where the infrastructure is overloaded already.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,720 Posts
The car park is important for kvadraturen and the surrounding areas. Young people might think that making the area accessible for cars is unneccessary, but for the shops and restaurants in the area it is vital.
I agree, but I also agree to Oslo city's plan to put more of it underground/remove the street parking.

There should not be a Oslo Havn. The port should be located outside the city. It does not make sense to transport all sea going merchandise for large parts of south east Norway through the capital where the infrastructure is overloaded already.
Alnabru will be the goods terminal for all forseable future, and there really is no efficient alternative. Therefor, removing the harbor won't remove much through traffic at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless new bypassing roads is built the goods would still pass trough Oslo.
If a harbor were constructed on the southern end of Hurumlandet for instance, then goods bound for Drammen, Asker and Sandvika would not have to travel through Oslo and this are just some examples. This port could also fill up central storage facilities in the Ås, Vestby area by utilizing the Oslofjord tunnel and serve Moss, Fredrikstad, Halden etc.

I really do believe this could work, but it would require quit a lot of investment in port facilities as well as railroad and other roads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If a harbor were constructed on the southern end of Hurumlandet for instance, then goods bound for Drammen, Asker and Sandvika would not have to travel through Oslo and this are just some examples. This port could also fill up central storage facilities in the Ås, Vestby area by utilizing the Oslofjord tunnel and serve Moss, Fredrikstad, Halden etc.

I really do believe this could work, but it would require quit a lot of investment in port facilities as well as railroad and other roads.
I don't know if your aware of it, but it's a big debate now about where the new port and railway terminal should be located in the Trondheim area. An arch-typical NIMBY case where everybody wants it, or at least realises is has to be done, but nobody wants it where they live. What confuses this location debate further is that some political parties insists that the terminal and port must be joint into a "logistics hub".

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are two areas that should get urbanized asap imho:

First up is the plot where Veterinærskolen now lies. They will soon move out to Ås and this opens up the plot for further development of the city. I suggest to demolish all post-war buildings on the site (they are all quite poor and very suburbian in their planing), build a park around the old pre-war buildings and urban modern developments around this park (marked red):

And at Majorstua behind the KPMG highrise. I suggest to demolish all the building here with the exception of the building in Sørkedalsveien 24, which I want to create a park/square around. There would also be a small open area/park around Frognerelva. The rest of the area should be filled with urban developments (marked red):

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
^^I think its more realistic to make the quarters bigger, and not so many new streets.

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ In the first? Or in both? I think the problems with making the blocks bigger is that they easily can appears very massive. Cross roads reduce this feeling of massiveness. And I don't think the blocks in my drawings are smaller than say at Sørenga or the surrounding areas.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
In both, especially the second one. Personally, I think small quarters are great, creating more urban spaces. But the municipality dont like it so much I think, with more streets to maintaine and more traffic.. The Sørenga blocks lay in a green belt and their size dont affect the car traffic.

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ Okay, fair enough. I guess you could remove the road cutting through the blocks and rather have the blocks going all way from Fridtjof Nansens vei to Sørkedalsveien without any cross roads in them.

BTW: I see that Statoil Norge occupies one of the buildings I want to demolish at Majorstua. I wonder if they will move out of this building when the Statoil HQ at Fornebu is finished?

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Et sted jeg skulle ønske å se utviklet i byen er dette (jeg er litt usikker på om dette området er en del av Fjordbyen?):

Jeg har markert en del av sjøen og, ettersom jeg ønsker at man bygger uttover ut i vannet. Mye av det samme som Tjuvholmen, bare enda mer ekstremt. Jeg ser for meg haugevis av små, trange smug og gater, med bygninger bygd uttover i vannet og kanaler innemellom disse. Med andre ord en nordisk versjon av Venezia, men med moderne arkitetkur.

Ser for deg disse bildene bare med moderne bygninger:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/394698969/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bel_riose/3361687936/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrepipa/3060350316/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Det ville vært helt fantastiskt.
:banana:

Men jeg er ikke helt sikker på om det hadde vært noen økonomisk suksess for utbyggerne da ...

1 - 20 of 183 Posts