SkyscraperCity Forum banner
161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Hi Galro. What do you think of this one: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=94710689#post94710689
It's an interesting idea for an infill, and it shows beauty doesn't have to look old-fashioned.
If you want to ask me a question directly then you are probably better of sending me a email or pm, as I don't really visit this forum that often anymore after I was told that my comments ruined it.

Not sure why you seems to imply that I require old-fashioned look to find something beautiful? I have nothing against a well designed modern infill. I'm not completely sure the one you linked to belong in that category though - it does come across as slightly gimmicky and I think it can easily appear cheap and plastic-like if constructed with the wrong materials. Generally I would also say that such designs works best when contrasting to more traditional buildings on either side - like here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Barc...nD5xA-i-ow9pH05YvK-FQ&cbp=12,196.28,,0,-21.26. I don't think a whole city filled with buildings like that could work.

And as a sidenote: Why haven't anyone posted the renders of the last Brodtkorb-designed building at Sørenga and planning renders of Grønlikaia? Seems like this forum have gone awfully quiet lately.

http://www.brodtkorb.no/Prosjekter/Srenga.aspx
http://www.code.no/pub/code/SlideShow/?aid=918&cid=55&sac=all&viewall=1

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Not sure why you seems to imply that I require old-fashioned look to find something beautiful? I have nothing against a well designed modern infill. I'm not completely sure the one you linked to belong in that category though - it does come across as slightly gimmicky and I think it can easily appear cheap and plastic-like if constructed with the wrong materials.
Of course, it's a commercial building that is there to sell a company. But it does come off as a building based on a clear idea, and it seems to go well with both older and modernist buildings.
One can hope L'Oreal won't save on construction costs, and that it can be inspiring for similar projects.

Generally I would also say that such designs works best when contrasting to more traditional buildings on either side - like here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Barc...nD5xA-i-ow9pH05YvK-FQ&cbp=12,196.28,,0,-21.26. I don't think a whole city filled with buildings like that could work.
Of course it should be considered as a stand-alone, just as every new project in the innercity.:) But with good design, we should allow buildings that could be taller or more massive than usually in specific areas.

1,626 Posts
Regarding the L'oreal building, I have to say I agree with Galro that it might end up too much of a gimmick and just generally over the top.

If the facade materials or the construction lacks just a little quality, there's the danger of having a monument of tacky PR-gimmick, with brand names in gold and so on.

The modern infill in Oslo that comes closest to such a design would perhaps be Smykkeskrinet, although they are still very different of course, but I prefer that solution. Modernly designed infills are imo at their best when they contrast the older structures. (Given that they are built in a traditional area).

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I like the shape and the baleen-like (hvalbarde-aktige) design at the top, but I hate the thorns which follow the spiral. So cheesy!
No, no, the idea was to combine the flowing lines of Art Nouveau styles (which are my favorite architectural styles :)) with body strecthing for the sky like the Burj Khalifa. I'm most happy about the top and it's the closest to how I imagined it - I will probably do a revised design of the lower body later on. However I'm pretty sure the building would look fantastic if it was built in accordance to my idea ... But it will never be of course.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Well, there is no requirement that it have to look like Gaudis work to be Art Nouveau. Personally I'm bigger fan of other Art Nouveau artis more flowing and organic work. Stuff like this:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, art nouveau, spanish modernism and german jugendstil is pretty much the same. But what I meant was that I don't see those organic shapes in the thorny-looking details which follow the turning bends of the building. Looks like it's more inspired by fantasy than art nouveau IMO. Like a mix of Saruman's tower in Lord of the Rings and the magic beanstalk from Jack and the Beanstalk.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
^^ Well I at least liked the "crown" too, the entire thing wasn't half bad either. It's sort of strange as I recognize in your style that we share *some* opinions on what is estethic and beautiful, but I still also see that there are some differences between our tastes. As if I can understad where you're coming from, but we still aren't totally 100% on the same page, somehow. (this was said to Galro) :)

·
NWO Henchman
1,018 Posts
Skyscraper design. Thougths?

Larger size here: http://i.imgur.com/Beubugv.jpg
I like it. :) Since I'm not an "intellectual" anymore, I don't have to do it like the modernists and chase subtlety 'till there's nothing left, so this would definitely work for me.

My only "but" is to say that you've either got a mighty large door, or this building has some really small floors - if I can assume the door is about three meters high, the tower is about 150m tall and ~13m wide at its base. That's not gonna leave a lot of room once you factor in the stairs and elevators. :)

·
NWO Henchman
1,018 Posts
You don't have to be an intellectual to like modernism. All you have to do is.. like modernism. That's all there is to it. :)
I will assume that you are correct. But is it also true that you can be an intellectual without liking modernism? Because if you can, I'll try to aim for that ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I will assume that you are correct. But is it also true that you can be an intellectual without liking modernism? Because if you can, I'll try to aim for that ;)
I'm sure you can. You might have to justify it though. Like if you haven't really given it a chance you can't really say that you truly don't like it. You might say it looks bad based on your first impression but you don't know whether or not you like it until you give it a chance. It's a bit like lutefisk or rakfisk. :) I can't really say I hate lutefisk until I've at least tried it a couple of times. That would just make me look silly.

How do you "try" architecture though? I don't know. Approach it with an open mind, read about it, look up architects, see what kind of thought they put into their work, what kind of periods their work originated in. For example, you can't really appreciate 1920's modernism unless you look at it in the context of the the period it was conceived in. The brutalities of the first world war, industrialisation, technological breakthrough and the way the world was changing at the time. How ornate architecture was seen as connected with the old world, opulence and an arrogant upper class obessed with wealth, out of touch with the working people.

If you still don't like it after all of that, then fine, that's your choice. No one can argue with that.

I'm talking about the whole idea behind architecture though. If you think modernism looks ugly then that's fine. But if you focus just on that without trying it then you might be throwing away the chance to sample a great dish just because you don't like the smell. And that's not very intellectual. :)

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Suggestion of upgrade on the western road system of Oslo area, with a new 2+2 road running largely in tunnels (especially between Ring 3 and E16), that will provide a optional path between Oslo and Drammen, so traffic on E18 can be reduced a little, *and* a quicker way to get on the way to Bergen from centrally and east+south parts of Oslo.

Also a quicker way from large parts of Oslo to Bærums Verk and other parts of both Bærum and Lier, btw.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.