Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know how many of you keep track of your fuel economy but I do just to see what my car gets. I use http://www.fuelly.com it basically calculates it for you, I put my info into my mobile when I'm getting fuel, it has both metric and US measurements. I've missed some fuel ups because I used to write the mileage on the receipts but I have a whole bunch somewhere I never put in. Either way here is mine from my 1998 3.2L petrol Chrysler Concorde LXi.

My mileage is currently 21.4mpg or 10.99 liters per 100 kilometers thanks to a few highway trips. What is yours? I used http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver4.htm for conversion

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's what I get from our personal fleet:

1999 VW Passat 1.8T (20V turbo petrol - 150bhp). Rated at 34 mpg combined but I can usually average 37-38 mpg. My personal best from a single long journey, sticking at 55-60mph was 47 mpg.

1997 Audi A6 2.5TDi (5 cylinder 140 bhp). Rated at 46mpg combined but I can usually average 50 mpg. My personal best was 63mpg on a 350 mile trip to Brighton using motorways and driving at 70 most of the time. The long sixth gear made that possible.

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
I don't track mileage consistently, but I reset the trip odometer at each fill-up and can usually go about 300 miles between fill-ups and buy, maybe, 9 gallons. (According to the manual, I have a 14-gallon tank, but I think they're lying. Or else my low-fuel-warning light is being alarmist.) So I guess that's over 30 miles a gallon. In a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer which I use mostly for highway or suburban/country driving at off hours; I live five blocks from work so I walk...don't drive much in the city and hardly ever in rush hours, thank God.
I just observed on the fuel prices thread that having the heat on has a noticeable effect on mileage - did Philadelphia to Washington and back yesterday, it was cold, and I needed to fill up at about 270 miles and it took over 10 gallons.

·
53,983 Posts
(According to the manual, I have a 14-gallon tank, but I think they're lying. Or else my low-fuel-warning light is being alarmist.)
My car has that problem. According to the manual, it has a 50 L tank, but when I'm ¾ empty, I can still not get more than some 28 L in it, while there should be some 37 - 38 L.

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
Thats normal whatever your car says your tank capacity is you should never been filling up that.
What annoys me is, it always takes over 100 miles to get from full to three-quarters, about that much to get from three-quarters to half, then go another hundred and the warning light'll come on 5and the needle will be well below a quarter) when it seems to me I should still have another quarter-tank, and thus about 100 miles. So do I pull over at the next station after the light comes on or keep on for a bit....?

·
IsraCanadian :)
1,357 Posts
I took this photo a few months ago :p

I have the digital indicator, and it's a bit more accurate, but I'm still not totally sure so I don't risk it. Last time I still had a few bars left and fit about 37 L (tank is 50 L). Light comes on when there are like 2 bars left.

Economy is about 9 L / 100 km (city driving).

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What annoys me is, it always takes over 100 miles to get from full to three-quarters, about that much to get from three-quarters to half, then go another hundred and the warning light'll come on 5and the needle will be well below a quarter) when it seems to me I should still have another quarter-tank, and thus about 100 miles. So do I pull over at the next station after the light comes on or keep on for a bit....?
Yeah they do that to make you think you are getting better fuel economy. You have to know your car to say for sure how far you can go. For example my car has a computer that says Distance to Empty that's what I go by.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts