Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
An Olympics in Chicago could be interesting, but my bet would be on one of the lesser known cities trying to make a name for itself.

Detroit could do with a boost. What better way to build some pride back into that city.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
A "boost" would be an extreme understatement. The current condition of Detroit is terrible and declining daily.

I think Denver should host the next summer olympics.
You're probably right. The IOC would probably baulk at Detroit for those reasons.

Denver seems a good choice. The high elevation would pose a challenge for the athletes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're probably right. The IOC would probably baulk at Detroit for those reasons.

Denver seems a good choice. The high elevation would pose a challenge for the athletes.
True, i think Denver would be better at hosting the winter olympics...what with the Rockies being close by...what an amazing sight.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Chicago or NYC I could handle easily. NYC is not just a US city and Chicago had their games pinched by St Louis in 1904.

Miami is just too close to Atlanta............ in fact most of the US is just too close to "Concept Atlanta".

San Francisco?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The USOC announced last month that they will not bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, so they can focus on a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Now that the IOC-USOC gridlock is out of the way, I have a feeling the US will have this one in the bag - depending on the city they put forward.

So far Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, NYC, San Francisco and Los Angeles have all expressed varying degrees of interest.

I think Chicago, NYC and San Francisco have superb chances, and I'd be willing to be it'll be one of the three. Los Angeles wants to step up to host for a third time, probably inspired by London doing so. However I think LA's downfall is that the requirements of an Olympic city nowadays is being compact and sustainable - an LA bid doesn't exactly strike me as offering that (apparently it was the primary reason the USOC put forward Chicago for 2016 and not LA).

Dallas is also mentioned quite frequently, but the Olympics were in the South only in 1996 - and Atlanta only won 1996 by a bizarre Qatar 2022-type freak vote, so I don't like the chances of a second tier American city doing that again.

I think Philadelphia has a substantially better chance than Dallas. While its smaller than Atlanta - it has a huge amount of cultural merit - and it could really put on an iconic American Olympic Games. Philadelphia also has the compelling "Urban rejuvenation" case with its water front and disadvantaged inner suburbs, in a similar way that East London had for the 2012 bid. They could be the dark horse.

Miami, Washington DC, Boston and Seattle have all made no comment.

Denver is apparently holding bidding for 2024 Summer, in the hope that the bid fails, so they can go on to bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics, which they'd probably have a more realistic chance of securing.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
An Olympics in Chicago could be interesting, but my bet would be on one of the lesser known cities trying to make a name for itself.

Detroit could do with a boost. What better way to build some pride back into that city.
Detroit has actually unsuccessfully bid for the Olympic Games more than any other city: 1944, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968 and 1972.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
news from the Washington DC front...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8f7516-dfad-11e1-8d48-2b1243f34c85_story.html

Basically a joint Washington-Baltimore bid was put forward to the USOC for 2012, but was rejected in favour of NYC.

The IOC doesn't allow joint hosting in naming, so one city would have to take the credit (I'm assuming it'd be Washington).

Similarly- Vancouver's bid for the 2010 Olympics was originally Vancouver-Whistler, but the latter was dropped at the IOC's request, even though it still staged all the outdoor events.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The USOC announced last month that they will not bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, so they can focus on a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Now that the IOC-USOC gridlock is out of the way, I have a feeling the US will have this one in the bag - depending on the city they put forward.

So far Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, NYC, San Francisco and Los Angeles have all expressed varying degrees of interest.

I think Chicago, NYC and San Francisco have superb chances, and I'd be willing to be it'll be one of the three. Los Angeles wants to step up to host for a third time, probably inspired by London doing so. However I think LA's downfall is that the requirements of an Olympic city nowadays is being compact and sustainable - an LA bid doesn't exactly strike me as offering that (apparently it was the primary reason the USOC put forward Chicago for 2016 and not LA).

Dallas is also mentioned quite frequently, but the Olympics were in the South only in 1996 - and Atlanta only won 1996 by a bizarre Qatar 2022-type freak vote, so I don't like the chances of a second tier American city doing that again.

I think Philadelphia has a substantially better chance than Dallas. While its smaller than Atlanta - it has a huge amount of cultural merit - and it could really put on an iconic American Olympic Games. Philadelphia also has the compelling "Urban rejuvenation" case with its water front and disadvantaged inner suburbs, in a similar way that East London had for the 2012 bid. They could be the dark horse.

Miami, Washington DC, Boston and Seattle have all made no comment.

Denver is apparently holding bidding for 2024 Summer, in the hope that the bid fails, so they can go on to bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics, which they'd probably have a more realistic chance of securing.
First of all, Dallas is not Boise, Idaho. It is the 4th most populated metro in this nation behind New York, LA, and Chicago. The metro is also an economic powerhouse and home to corporate headquarters such as AT&T, American Airlines, T.I., Neiman Marcus, JCPenney, Dr. Pepper, ExxonMobil, Kimberly-Clark, etc. All of which, I'm sure, would LOVE and would PULL ($$$$$$$$$) for the 2024 Olympics to be in their backyard. Second, Philadelphia is by no means smaller than Atlanta. Philadelphia proper has 1,526,006 residents whereas Atlanta proper has only 420,003 residents. Philadelphia metro is also more populated than Atlanta metro.

·
Banned
371 Posts
No US nation should host the olympics in the near future. They've more than run the race and it's time to hand it to a nation that can properly afford to put on a grand olympics. HAving said that, not many first world nations seem interested in bidding nowadays but i like Istanbul for 2020

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
No US nation should host the olympics in the near future. They've more than run the race and it's time to hand it to a nation that can properly afford to put on a grand olympics. HAving said that, not many first world nations seem interested in bidding nowadays but i like Istanbul for 2020
Like it or not the USOC (through broadcasting rights) funds the Olympic Games. Basically it would not be the event it is today without American Broadcasting. It's a huge chunk of the IOC's pay.

I wasn't too keen in their 2012 or 2016 bids, but I think with a-grade American city (SF, NYC, etc..) 2024 might be good timing in terms of continental rotation. If it has to go back to the USA which it inevitably will, we may as well hope for something insane like NYC, and not another Atlanta (thats you, Dallas!).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts