SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just a randam question asking your top 10 Cathedrals in England and why eg the structure, glass windows and maybe you like the city where the cathedral is situated.

·
22,097 Posts
This thread is incredibly racist against the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish......

Despite that;

In no particular order, my favourites are

Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
Westminster Abbey (yes I know it's not 'technically' a cathedral)
St. Paul's Cathedral
Westminster Cathedral
York Minster
Durham Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral
Wells Cathedral
Winchester Cathedral
Lincoln Cathedral

·
tails tail
215 Posts
In no particular order,

York Minister
Exeter Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral
Canterbury Cathedral
Lincoln Cathedral
St Paul's Cathedral
Norwich Cathedral
Peterborough Cathedral
Wells Cathedral
Chester Cathedral

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Don't know how you would rate these magnificent buildings however, I do have a personal favourite, that being Gloucester Cathedral.

Reactions: openlyJane

·
Registered
994 Posts
Top five that I've been to -

Wells - A beautiful and unique little cathedral in a beautiful and unique little city - the moated bishops palace next door is amazing too.

Durham - Went for the first time recently, more the location but - stunning.

Gloucester - For the dramatic perpendicular choir and tower.

York - For the city-like exterior and the stained glass.

Exeter - Nothing stands out, just a lovely small nave crammed full of interesting stuff.

Never been to either but I think i'd love Ely and Peterborough.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
The Catholic cathedral is uglier. The Anglican cathedral is a massive building, impressive in its own right but I prefer the older, prettier cathedrals as mentioned above.

·
Human Being
41,094 Posts
Liverpool's Catholic cathedral divides opinion ( I really like it) - however - beneath it lies an amazing, romanesque crypt of vast proportions. The only part of the 'original' design to be completed; and often over-looked by visitors.

Lots of people really love The Anglican Cathedral. My favourite part is The Lady Chapel, which looks almost medieval. And, of course, the views from the tower are ace.

·
Human Being
41,094 Posts
My favourite aspect of Liverpool's Catholic Cathedral ( apart from the crypt) is the stained glass 'crown' at the top - which produces some wonderful effects inside - and also the glass panels that flank it front and back:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Do you mean the Catholic Cathedral?

The Anglican Cathedral has the size, but architecturally would be beaten by many other Cathedrals throughout England.
Sorry, clicked like instead of quote.

If he likes The Anglican surely that's not for anyone to question, it's up to him.

I find It majestic myself. Standing at the front and looking up at it is awesome, and of course there are prettier, but for me it will always be a stand-out cathedral, same as Paddys Wigwam. Both unique, imo of course.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Liverpools cathedrals smash everything obviously.

I've always loved the gothis cathedrals right down the East of England though, I'm not religious, in fact I dislike religion in many forms. However these cathedrals and their building methods, interiors marked by history are awe inspiring, to me at least.

I love St. Paul's too, all that stuff that's happened around it and still does happen and there's this building of scale and mass that holds it own getting on 350 years later!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Don't like Liverpool's Anglican cathedral - overbearing and boring, but paddy's wigwam is stunning, from the outside at least. Not a fan of circular interiors.

Of cathedrals i've seen I like Durham, Ely and Peterborough the most.

·
Human Being
41,094 Posts
Don't like Liverpool's Anglican cathedral - overbearing and boring, but paddy's wigwam is stunning, from the outside at least. Not a fan of circular interiors.

Of cathedrals i've seen I like Durham, Ely and Peterborough the most.
Have you been inside the catholic cathedral? Did you visit the crypt? ( I always bang on about that because most people haven't)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts