Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Sydney
4. Gold Coast
5. Perth

If Sydney had more 'super towers' and development going on ... Sydney would be #1 on my list ... image the vista of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House and the skyline with 3 or 4 300m+ towers ... WOW!!!

I think that Melbourne is aware that the Yarra sucks poo :) so they have created a modern and iconic skyline which is why it's my #1 Australian skyline!

Brisbane in 2012 when Soleil, Infinity and One One One are completed ... and whatever happens with the old Vision site ... will be a sight for sore eyes!!!

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
ADELAIDE would be in my top 5 skylines simply because of its compact and dense nature, and the fact the tallest building forms a central point within the skyline - unlike most other Australian cities.

·
6,438 Posts
Well Australia really only has six skylines doesn't it, so its just a matter of deciding which is the worst and leaving it out (most likely Adelaide). I mean maybe Darwin and Hobart you could say have now put together a decent skyline on the small scale, but they're not gunna be in anyones top five are they. My list would be:

Sydney
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Perth

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
My favorite is probably Hobart due to Mt Wellington. Townsville with Castle Hill is pretty spectacular too.

Sydney & Brisbane both have iconic bridges which make a statement on the skyline, and of course Sydney has Sydney Tower.

As said above Adelaide is awesome because of its density, and the fact its tallest building is located in the centre of the CBD.

Melbourne and Gold Coast look fantastic from a distance.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Adelaide is nowhere near as tall as the other cities, though it still has a very dense skyline. Poll edited

Top 5
Melbourne
Sydney
Brisbane
Perth
Gold Coast

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I'm going to do this differently, dividing them into two groups.

Over 1m

1. Melbourne/Sydney (I can't choose, if I pick Melbourne I feel bias to Sydney's setting, if I pick Sydney I feel like I'm ignoring the majestic, Chicago-esque boldness of Melbourne. Tie).
3. Brisbane. (Give it another decade and there will be three cities tied at first.)
4. Adelaide Love the density. (Love the hills. Its like a quaint LA. )
5. Perth (Lacks density, but its profile from the Swan River is quite iconic for WA).

Under 1m
1. Gold Coast (for a long time it was a vast row of uninspiring, white, balcony ridden highrises, but the latest high quality towers in the last decade have improved the skyline immensely, and turned the older towers into background fillers. It works. I like a skyline to have a commercial presence, but the GC is not that sort of a city, so for what it aims to be, its impressive).
2. Hobart (The snow capped mountains, the river, its beautiful. It's a mini-Wellington, if there is such a thing)
3. Darwin (The growth is is probably more impressive than the Gold Coast when you compare it to the relative size of the city. It's Australia's next upstart.)
4. Townsville (The mountain, the growing skyline. It's cool)
5. Cairns (It's lush, and beautiful. I love Cairns. It's my fifth preferred city to live in Australia after Melb, Syd, Adelaide and Hobart. It's probably the coolest regional city in Australia).

·
Banned
482 Posts
Pointless thread really, obviously people will vote for the skyline of the city they live in hence turning this into another city vs city thread. Anyways...

1. Melbourne, ( as someone said it's chicago-esque type corporate looking skyline with defining towers on both the western and eastern ends of the cbd and it's fabulous gap with buildings lining the yarra on both north and south side.

2. Sydney, ( most beautiful natural harbour in the world with alot of density with 200-250m office towers, however doesnt have any real supertall to be considered number one and this isnt about the best looking natural setting in the world but the skyline.

3. Brisbane, ( Density, has alot of 150-200m towers in a confined area with more going up in the future. Could tip sydney out of second spot in regards to skyline depending on future proposals.

4. Gold Coast, (one of the most inspiring line of towers u will see from a distance lining the pacific. While lacking in corporate towers unlike many capital cities gc is wat it is and doesn't set out to be like a capital city but a las vegas or miami style destination.
PS Miami has alot of firms, banks etc in office towers but ya'll know wat i mean.

5. Perth, (Dissappointing for a capital city. Besides central park and bankwest there is not much else that really defines the skyline however it does make a good setting from the swan river. BHP will be good aswell but will block central park from certain angles. Perth has a long way to go but never the less a nice place to visit.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.