SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this earlier today via the blog "Discovering Urbanism" and thought that it would be worth sharing. It is 2 minutes and 55 seconds long.

Winner of The Congress for New Urbanism CNU 17 video contest. Created by independent filmmaker John Paget (www.pagetfilms.com) with First+Main Media (Drew Ward, Chris Elisara and John Paget). www.firstandmain.tv

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Very interesting! I don't think that cul-de-sacs are completly at blame. If they wanted, the people living in cul de sacs could just walk down thier short street and get a bus.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting! I don't think that cul-de-sacs are completly at blame. If they wanted, the people living in cul de sacs could just walk down thier short street and get a bus.
Cul-de-sacs can be well over a kilometer from arterials or collectors, and at such low densities there is no way that half decent transit can be remotely viable financially or convenient enough that people would actually use it.

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
I think cul de sacs don't have to be a major problem, as long as they are that only for cars. Pedestrians should have further going connections in all major directions. Bicycle riders at best as well.

Busses should be able to follow a reasonable pathway.

The density of of the settlement has to have a certain level of course.

If these things are the case and the cul de sac not extremely long, I think one coud live fine with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Video! I visited last month to Downtown Portland Oregon and it is an amazing city. I love infrastructure of the city and i feel its one of the best city i have seen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think cul de sacs don't have to be a major problem, as long as they are that only for cars. Pedestrians should have further going connections in all major directions. Bicycle riders at best as well.

If these things are the case and the cul de sac not extremely long, I think one coud live fine with them.
Of course if the street the cul de sac is on is only 20 metres long, and in a reasonably dense area it's fine, but then again that is usually not looked upon as a bad thing. The problem is that most of the time it isn't like that, especially in the US.

·
okay then
6,414 Posts
I found this earlier today via the blog "Discovering Urbanism" and thought that it would be worth sharing. It is 2 minutes and 55 seconds long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJt_YXIoJI

Created by independent filmmaker John Paget (www.pagetfilms.com) with First+Main Media (Drew Ward, Chris Elisara and John Paget). www.firstandmain.tv

PS I do not know how to embed the video on this website - if you know how, please go for it. Thanks!
For example, if the URL of the video is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJt_YXIoJI

Copy the section of the URL after the watch?v= part:
VGJt_YXIoJI

Then paste it inside the "youtube brackets", like this:
[MEDIA=youtube]VGJt_YXIoJI[/MEDIA]

and you end up with:

·
okay then
6,414 Posts

I agree, short cul-de-sac streets are manageable, as opposed to large subdivisions with little connectivity.

·
okay then
6,414 Posts
^^ No problem. :)

It isn't working, because you posted:
[MEDIA=youtube]VGJt_YXIoJI[/MEDIA]

The video will be embedded, as such:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts