SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, just noticed the shorter one is 224 m, if someone could change that please.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
How's Yonge Street Mission not a heritage property?

Or most of those properties.

Developers are out of CONTROL. Toronto will have no historic buildings left.

All in the name of greedy international investors.

·
Administrator
76,127 Posts

Or most of those properties.

Developers are out of CONTROL. Toronto will have no historic buildings left.

All in the name of greedy international investors.
Yonge Street Mission was built and opened in 1962, which is newer than me. Do you think that is "historical"?
Honestly, have you ever liked any project we have discussed here? Even once?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll miss the Big Slice a bit. I've staggered in there a little drunk more than a few times over the years.

Glad they're keeping the main facade.

Any real estate agents here? Who owns 399 Yonge across the street? I'm assuming not long before something gets announced there? Same with across the street at The E&C.

That's going to be a major intersection with some height in a few years.

Loving what's happening on Yonge right now.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Oh no, REMINGTONS! How can you be a major gay city and not have one gay strip club? I don't go to Remintons all that often but when I have friends come visit from out of town, we always go to Remingtons. And before anyone mentions Flash, that is not a strip club, it's a sleazy sex club. (not that there's anything wrong with sleazy sex clubs) I just prefer a proper strip club like Remingtons.

Yonge Street is going to be crazy, with all this massive development. They better widen those sidewalks soon. I hope it doesn't become a bland, generic strip of banks, nail salons, McDonalds and Subway sandwich shops. That would be dreadful!

I worry because most new condos have terrible retail options. (all corporate BS) I hope that starts to change soon. Toronto is known for its large number of independent retail shops and I don't want that to change, like I see happening in Manhattan.

Now that Future Shop has closed, I'd like to see some new electronics shops open. I do not like Best Buy, so I have few options downtown. I would greatly appreciate some new places to check out close to home.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yonge Street Mission was built and opened in 1962, which is newer than me. Do you think that is "historical"?
Honestly, have you ever liked any project we have discussed here? Even once?
:eek:hno:

It's called taste.

And a desire to protect the character of the city that made so desirable a destination in the first place.

·
Administrator
76,127 Posts

It's called taste.

And a desire to protect the character of the city that made so desirable a destination in the first place.
Ah. I see. You think the Yonge Street Mission is "tasteful" as well as being "historical".

Oh no, REMINGTONS! How can you be a major gay city and not have one gay strip club? I don't go to Remintons all that often but when I have friends come visit from out of town, we always go to Remingtons.
I'm sure he will just relocate as he owns the licence. I prefer Flash any day, by the way. I do not like the direction Remmies has taken in the past 6 or 7 years.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Ah. I see. You think the Yonge Street Mission is "tasteful" as well as being "historical".

Please stop bullying members of SSC with your passive-aggressive attacks on anyone who doesn't see the world through your eyes.

Note the top of page announcement that you need to "Respect Others"

Stop bullying people who don't share your POV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

I'm sure he will just relocate as he owns the licence. I prefer Flash any day, by the way. I do not like the direction Remmies has taken in the past 6 or 7 years.

FYI ... I have reported you to SSC for your trolling behaviour and outright attacks on other members.

63,000 Posts. Maybe it's time to put some new people into your position.

This forum is stagnate. And I can't help but wonder if it's not from full time bullies like yourself that are trying to shape the narrative of SSC to reflect your own personal agenda.

63,000 posts, it's time that we get someone new that has outside, offline experience.

If your tired of of being bullied by Taller-Better please report him.

·
Administrator
76,127 Posts
Oh well, that's life! Can't please everyone.

Here is the way I see it, urban. We are a small group who discusses local things and most of the time people disagree with some others. It is true
I disagree with a lot of your opinions, because in my opinion in the entire time I have been an SSC member you do nothing but complain about absolutely
every single initiative taken in the city of Toronto. Bar none. Nothing meets your standards, and everything is done wrong. You never seem to support any attempts that have been made to elevate this city, and only see the negative all the time. In this particular case I personally find nothing of interest in the Evergreen youth building. In my opinion it was cheaply built and inside/out it has few redeeming qualities. You asked how it could be not considered historical:
To this I pointed out that it was built in the 1960's, which I would not really consider a historical building unless it was architecturally of a high quality. You then responded that you have good taste, with of course the implication I don't which in no way bothers me because I am completely comfortable with having a different life outlook, and "taste" than yourself.

It's called taste.

The slowdown in forums at SSC and amongst other forums like ourselves has been a big challenge to us. If you want to think I am responsible for this, then please be my guest. We have a complete spectrum of people here; those who automatically hate everything, those who automatically love
everything and the bulk of the others lie somewhere in between. Yes, it is true I actually love this city and certainly hate far fewer things than many, and I'm sorry but I don't see anything wrong with that. I promised myself that the day I allowed wholly negative people to begin to drag me down and suck the life out of me, I would walk away from this site because I have no desire to wallow in misery about the city I have chosen to move to and live in. My participation here is only a small fraction of an otherwise well rounded lifestyle that I feel happy and contented with.
So, I think all of us feel free to agree or disagree with others when we discuss things. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
FYI ... I have reported you to SSC for your trolling behaviour and outright attacks on other members.

63,000 Posts. Maybe it's time to put some new people into your position.

This forum is stagnate. And I can't help but wonder if it's not from full time bullies like yourself that are trying to shape the narrative of SSC to reflect your own personal agenda.

63,000 posts, it's time that we get someone new that has outside, offline experience.

If your tired of of being bullied by Taller-Better please report him.
Only person I see out of line here is you. I lurk & read almost every post made in this forum and I agree with Taller Better's last post. Should just change your name to Urban Negativity lol.

Anyways I don't see any bullying going on, however I see your false accusation and very public & childish protest.

And forums in general all around the web have slowed down due to social media it's not because of just one person or even a few on here, it's a phenomenon happening all over the web as peoples online social habits change and evolve.

Now back to the real discussion at hand.... I also hope some of the mom & pop shops don't get pushed out of the neighbourhood. As much as I love to see these new developments we lose our identity if only chains move in to the new storefronts. I hope reasonable rents are offered so mom and pop's can move back in to some of these new developments happening on Yonge!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Only person I see out of line here is you. I lurk & read almost every post made in this forum and I agree with Taller Better's last post. Should just change your name to Urban Negativity lol.

Anyways I don't see any bullying going on, however I see your false accusation and very public & childish protest.

And forums in general all around the web have slowed down due to social media it's not because of just one person or even a few on here, it's a phenomenon happening all over the web as peoples online social habits change and evolve.

Now back to the real discussion at hand.... I also hope some of the mom & pop shops don't get pushed out of the neighbourhood. As much as I love to see these new developments we lose our identity if only chains move in to the new storefronts. I hope reasonable rents are offered so mom and pop's can move back in to some of these new developments happening on Yonge!

Well I agree to disagree. Just proof that people need their cages rattled more often.

We live in a society that is becoming increasingly intollernet of divergent views. We as a society have become so coddled that we no longer can accept that others may view the world diffently.

You stalk me because deep down you love to be intellectually challenged, it's boring where everyone is in full agreement. You won't admit it but you like it.

SSC is living proof that if someone has divergent view on the future of Toronto that they should ridiculed.

I don't troll, I honestly never post a comment to stir the pot. But the fanatics who have 10's of THOUSANDS of posts on one website have drunk their own koolaide.

Most on this site get off on superlatives ... biggest, tallest, grandest. But willful turn a blind eye to bad urban planning decisions.

SSC would be such a better place with more moderate opinions. It seems like if anyone announces a 70 story building ... all is forgiven.

The joke is on Toronto long-term.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Oh well, that's life! Can't please everyone.

Here is the way I see it, urban. We are a small group who discusses local things and most of the time people disagree with some others. It is true
I disagree with a lot of your opinions, because in my opinion in the entire time I have been an SSC member you do nothing but complain about absolutely
every single initiative taken in the city of Toronto. Bar none. Nothing meets your standards, and everything is done wrong. You never seem to support any attempts that have been made to elevate this city, and only see the negative all the time. In this particular case I personally find nothing of interest in the Evergreen youth building. In my opinion it was cheaply built and inside/out it has few redeeming qualities. You asked how it could be not considered historical:
To this I pointed out that it was built in the 1960's, which I would not really consider a historical building unless it was architecturally of a high quality. You then responded that you have good taste, with of course the implication I don't which in no way bothers me because I am completely comfortable with having a different life outlook, and "taste" than yourself.

The slowdown in forums at SSC and amongst other forums like ourselves has been a big challenge to us. If you want to think I am responsible for this, then please be my guest. We have a complete spectrum of people here; those who automatically hate everything, those who automatically love
everything and the bulk of the others lie somewhere in between. Yes, it is true I actually love this city and certainly hate far fewer things than many, and I'm sorry but I don't see anything wrong with that. I promised myself that the day I allowed wholly negative people to begin to drag me down and suck the life out of me, I would walk away from this site because I have no desire to wallow in misery about the city I have chosen to move to and live in. My participation here is only a small fraction of an otherwise well rounded lifestyle that I feel happy and contented with.
So, I think all of us feel free to agree or disagree with others when we discuss things. :)

Why is something built in 1960's not worthy of Heritage protection?

Yonge Street is about to become more sterile than downtown Oshawa or Yorkville.

Toronto is on the brink of losing the charm that made it great.

Developers how don't even live in Toronto are destroying this city block by block with the blessing of the OMB.

Jane Jacobs would be insulted by what's happening to downtown Toronto.

·
Administrator
76,127 Posts
Well, I think the Evergreen Centre is the type of building that looks just fine on Bathurst Street, along with other similar '50's and '60's buildings. I do not think it looks fine on that strip of Yonge Street. They do a fine service, but it is time that that service is shifted to another street.

Just proof that people need their cages rattled more often.
Then why are you so angry when I rattle your cage? Or is the cage rattling here only one way? I really and truly think you need to be pointed out once in awhile how relentlessly negative
you are about absolutely everything in this city. There are city builders living here that are trying hard to improve our city, but you won't give one inch of credit to any of them because
automatically whatever is done does not meet your ever-shifting mercurial standards. I've also rattled your cage in the past when you start spouting your anti-immigration stance. I'd love to
find out how your family arrived in Canada if it was not through immigration; I certainly know my ancestors were immigrants as were those of the overwhelming majority of Canadians.

Now, I've had my say in response to your complaints and am shifting my discussion back to the topic at hand. For anyone who is unsure of what part of Yonge Street we are discussing,
this is it. If this is the architectural charm that made Toronto great then I suppose taste is truly in the eye of the beholder:

1 - 20 of 189 Posts