Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
President Edgar Lungu commissions construction works for the $397 million Copperbelt International Airport

ZANIS reports that the robust construction project will run for a period of three years and will be undertaken by a Chinese contractor AVIC international.

Minister Ronald Chitotela revealed that the construction project will run for a period of three years and will create 3000 jobs during construction and a total of 5000 jobs once completed.

Mr. Chitotela urged contractors to observe and adhere to Zambian labour laws and adhere to quality workmanship.

The Copperbelt International Airport will comprise three aerodromes, a 3.5 Kilometer runway, a hotel, cargo terminal, business complex among other facilities.

Speaking at the same occasion Copperbelt Minister Bowman Lusambo said the construction of the new airport will help in the transformation of the diversification of the province from copper dependence to mining.

And Chinese Ambassador to Zambia Yang Youing said Zambia is poised to become potential Air transport hub in the region once the construction of the airport was completed.

https://www.lusakatimes.com/2017/06...397-million-copperbelt-international-airport/

·
Afritect
4,402 Posts
pray they dont build this now as i dont know where the money is coming from......actually i do and I will be the one to pay this Chinese debt.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pray they dont build this now as i dont know where the money is coming from......actually i do and I will be the one to pay this Chinese debt.

I think this is good for Ndola's development depends if the project can pay itself back (at 400 million I doubt it) even if they pay half of it through a airline tax it's fine. if they can attract international airlines ndola is very close to drc so they could possibly use ndola as a regional airport.

I have been reading varying stories on debt accumulated by lungu not sure what to believe.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I don't see the need for more than one international airport per country for most SSA countries. There might be exceptions (Kenya and Cameroon f.e.) but $397 million could be a neat BRT system (Dar Es Salam spent $180 million for their first line). A BRT line in Lusaka would move more people per day than this airport would see passengers in a year.

It really buggers me to see many SSA countries to misallocate funds to stadiums, six lane urban express ways, secondary airports instead of public transit, waste management (f.e. waste to energy) and a decent sewerage systems.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
I don't see the need for more than one international airport per country for most SSA countries. There might be exceptions (Kenya and Cameroon f.e.) but $397 million could be a neat BRT system (Dar Es Salam spent $180 million for their first line). A BRT line in Lusaka would move more people per day than this airport would see passengers in a year.

It really buggers me to see many SSA countries to misallocate funds to stadiums, six lane urban express ways, secondary airports instead of public transit, waste management (f.e. waste to energy) and a decent sewerage systems.
This airport target also the DRC Market...The Chinese are financing for a reason... I don't know if the Ndola region is enough populate to have an international Airport? The DRC market is also what the Chinese are targeting

·
Afritect
4,402 Posts

this would be a good idea even better yet re-establish a train line between Lusaka and the Copperbelt. Zambia already has 2 International Airports and the government seems to have eyes to create a local airline which could easily connect flights between the 2 cities

·
Afritect
4,402 Posts
i was in Zambia last week everyone is afraid of the debt levels with the chinese and the eurobond ..................the goverment now wants to tax whatsapp this airport can definitely wait

·
Hanging the boots up
9,556 Posts
i was in Zambia last week everyone is afraid of the debt levels with the chinese and the eurobond ..................the goverment now wants to tax whatsapp this airport can definitely wait
Africa is slowly being recolonized and the leaders are too dumb to notice this. China will own Zambia in a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts