SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registrovani Clan
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised no one started a topic about this. Zeljava was a major underground airbase, a so-called "superbase", built by the former Yugoslavia from the 70's until the 80's and costed $6 billion dollars. It was the single biggest investment the former Yugoslavia ever made. It had 5 runways, each of 2.900 m which made it the largest such airbase in Europe. It could hold 80 Mig-21 fighter jets and enough weapons and maintanence equipiment to run them for months. The doors were 50cm thick metal and the hardened aircraft shelter was 50 m below ground and had 1 m thick concrete reinforced with 30 cm thick steel plates and could withstand a direct hit by a tactical nuclear bomb.

Unfortunately, they had to destroy it because that part of Bosnia was given to the Muslims. Everything built by Yugoslavia during the cold war was designed with plans for its destruction in mind, so that nothing would fall into the hands of enemies if Yugoslavia was invaded by the Warsaw Pact or NATO. The runway had holes in the concrete every 30 m where they would put explosives. This would destroy it very effectively because it would rearrange the soil underneath. Unlike a runway which was destroyed by surface attack, this could not be repaired. The last picture shows the runway destroyed in this manner.

Entrance:

Picture of door from inside:

Plan:

If anyone has more pictures of Zeljava AB please share them.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
They did start this before. I remember seeing this place a long time ago, one of the Serbian members posted it.

·
Banned
3,731 Posts
Yea destory everything so the Muslims can't get it and use it as some kind of terrorist base..... :lol: so idiotic.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ah the wisdom of the economic managers of SFRJ, built a $6 billion underground airbase but cannot find funding for a motorway to the Dalmatian coast to help increase tourism revenues, and then people wonder why SFRJ disintegrated :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
5 Bucks says Osama is chillen in there with some premium Afghan hash :cheer:

·
Banned
344 Posts
Sabunjar said:
Ah the wisdom of the economic managers of SFRJ, built a $6 billion underground airbase but cannot find funding for a motorway to the Dalmatian coast to help increase tourism revenues, and then people wonder why SFRJ disintegrated :lol:

"Lora" naval base in Split was even more expensive than this Bihac airport...pricetag ~10+ billion;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Islom said:
"Lora" naval base in Split was even more expensive than this Bihac airport...pricetag ~10+ billion;)
Another waste of resources, SFRJ then (and now Croatia) only needed patrol boats, a few corvettes and maybe the odd frigate or sub.

The old Yugo Navy was a waste of resources.

·
Banned
344 Posts
And Central Command or whatever it was called, somewhere in Bosnia near Sarajevo, where all the big shots would go (Tito himself as well) in case of nuclear war with NATO or Soviet Union or both...a staggering 15-20$ billion:yes:

For that money, we could have built a space cosmodrome and started our own space program:(

·
Registered
674 Posts
^^ they were a bunch of paranoid freaks ...

Stuff space programs (didn't have the technical people for it anyway), they could have had some amazing transport, medical & educational infrastructure instead !

·
46,773 Posts
Islom said:
And Central Command or whatever it was called, somewhere in Bosnia near Sarajevo, where all the big shots would go (Tito himself as well) in case of nuclear war with NATO or Soviet Union or both...a staggering 15-20$ billion:yes:

For that money, we could have built a space cosmodrome and started our own space program:(
i saw a report on that bunker. It was until last year part of AFBiH but is now under the control of OSBiH like the underground airport. Its probably going to be turned in to a museum there is no need for those cold war left overs. the CIA went to look over the bunker because Yugoslavia built one just like it for Saddam. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
You have to keep in mind that this was built for the security of the country. The US is doing the same thing right now, except they are investing billions of dollars into building walls and shoddy missiles designed to shoot down 40% of incoming nulcear missiles.
Yugoslavia had the same problem Switzerland has (even today), they did not want to firmly align with any major powers, and as a result had to keep spending huge amounts on the military/navy in order to be seen as a big power/strong.
Sure you may see it as a waste of money now, but back then there was definately a chance that one of our neighbors would invade us or attack. Bulgaria for example, actively "tested" some defences by doing small violations of airspace/shooting into uninhabited border fields, etc.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
man fedex, swiss banks, storage companies such as pods would kill for a space like this. Secure excesible by an airplane it could have been a good biz location.

·
Registered
674 Posts
zivan56 said:
You have to keep in mind that this was built for the security of the country. The US is doing the same thing right now, except they are investing billions of dollars into building walls and shoddy missiles designed to shoot down 40% of incoming nulcear missiles.
Yugoslavia had the same problem Switzerland has (even today), they did not want to firmly align with any major powers, and as a result had to keep spending huge amounts on the military/navy in order to be seen as a big power/strong.
Sure you may see it as a waste of money now, but back then there was definately a chance that one of our neighbors would invade us or attack. Bulgaria for example, actively "tested" some defences by doing small violations of airspace/shooting into uninhabited border fields, etc.
The US and Switzerland are wealthy, its barely even noticed by their citizens, for Yugoslavia it was a huge expenditure that could have gone elsewhere to improve the lives of its citizens. Hell, I wish NATO invaded SFRJ during the cold war, I reckon most people in Croatia would have cheered them :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sabunjar said:
The US and Switzerland are wealthy, its barely even noticed by their citizens, for Yugoslavia it was a huge expenditure that could have gone elsewhere to improve the lives of its citizens. Hell, I wish NATO invaded SFRJ during the cold war, I reckon most people in Croatia would have cheered them :)
Well its usually the lower class who suffer in any case. This is the case in the south of the US, as programs to help them are drastically cut because of massive war spending (Katrina anyone?). As for the Swiss, I guess giving away 20 years of your life for military service for free was quite a good bargain for the goverment.
As for NATO, they were quite irrelevent, as they would never invade Yugoslavia anways during this time period (they had Turkey as an ally in the area).
I guess Croatians had something against Yugoslavia. I never had problems with life in BiH, and would have never though of coming here had I not been forced to leave. Life was very good, at least for me, before the war.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts