SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know some of us have gotten off on the wrong foot, but I hope all's forgiven, my folks recently visited Harare, so I gave my dad my Digi cam & asked him to click away! & He did not dissapoint. I did not see any other Zim Gallery so I started one. Enjoy!

A Menu from one of the take aways. the owner got pissed off with my Dad becaus he took the pic, I have no idea why though?

Look at the empty Coke crates! they drink alot of coke in Zim!

Everyone is welcome to post more pictures.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Thank you very much for the pics. It's quite difficulto to find current Zim photos so this is a nice surprise. On the other hand, the decline of Harare is evident in that pics. Nice pics but very sad story the one of this country.

Can you tell us your folks' experience in Zimbabwe?

G

·
I think the guy at the restaurant was angry because of the prices on the menu.
340 000 zim $ for a chicken burger is big time inflation !

The Economy completely crashed. The once grain depot of Africa is under the verge of famine.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Almost half a million dollar for a double chicken burger. Zimbabwe has lots of millionaires. Either Zimbabwe or Turkey is the millionaires' capital of the world. I wonder which one tops.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
under mugabe only bill gates will be able to eat a burger there, and because he's a rich white who stole black education by making pricy computers, he will get beaten up doing it. :rofl:

·
Hood Legend
1,187 Posts
Excellent pictures Durbs.
I wonder which building that is underconstruction in your picture. It looks like a cool design.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
once the richest country in africa.. today...

·
Jan's Best Friend
1,069 Posts
nice to see recent pics of Zim. Goes to show how much inflation is up with those chicken prices. Tell your pops thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Great!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to post these... thanks alot!

-thryve

·
Registered
40,879 Posts
Durbsboi, thanks a lot for these pics. I am really surprised that Harare still looks so good, they are even erecting new (glitzy) buildings...whenever I read something in the papers it all sounds as if the whole country ressembles Congo!!!...but thanks for proving the opposite...things doesn´t seem to be so bad judging from your photos!

Do you think that Zimbabwe will take off again after Mugabe will have gone?

·
23,072 Posts
you do know that inflation there is at 900%...and aiming for over 1000% by year end...so scary! prices basically change daily! thanx for the pics durbsboi...!!

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Matthias Offodile said:
Durbsboi, thanks a lot for these pics. I am really surprised that Harare still looks so good, they are even erecting new (glitzy) buildings...whenever I read something in the papers it all sounds as if the whole country ressembles Congo!!!...but thanks for proving the opposite...things doesn´t seem to be so bad judging from your photos!
Matthias, read my comment in this thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=325863

Durbsboi, many thanks for the pics they are great to see.

Re Zim, yes when we have got rid of Mugabe and ZANU PF, I believe things will get better as the Dispora will return.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Whoa! These photos are the most that I've seen on the net that were taken in Harare and also recent. Superb thread! And very well needed for the city photography forum lovers. :rock:

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Svefn-g-Englar said:
Thank you very much for the pics. It's quite difficulto to find current Zim photos so this is a nice surprise. On the other hand, the decline of Harare is evident in that pics. Nice pics but very sad story the one of this country.

Can you tell us your folks' experience in Zimbabwe?
They actually enjoyed them self, life is soo different there, If you rich then you in haven, if you poor, ya then its abit of a struggle. But from all the houses they been too, each house has about 4 servants, one guard, one garden boy, & 2 maids, all of which stay in an out building, each with their own rooms, each of them get an avg of 5million zim dollars a month.

They very greatfull of everything they get, & they never moan to do extra work, & they learn the indian culture's, because most of my relatives were amazed when all the servants greated them in the indian way.

But lifes not all that rosey for the rich too, they have to do without certain luxeries, which they have to get from SA, so hence a trip about twice a month to SA is essential for biscuits, frozen foods & occasionaly petrol & Liquor.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts