SkyscraperCity Forum banner
401 - 420 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Zimbabwe space agency office
Apparently the space agency office was complete last year & they were given US$10 million to use for satellites for farming. Hope the money hasn’t vanished into “cars” we await the project to be completed.

The Zimbabwe National Geospatial and Space Agency (ZINGSA) was established on 26 July 2018. ZINGSA shall implement any geospatial space programme in line with the policy determined in terms of the Research Act [Chapter 10:22].

Activities:

1. Operationalise administrative framework of ZINGSA;
  2. Implement Research on fertiliser requirements for different soil types;
  3. Revise Agro-Ecological Zones;
  4. Develop geological minerals map focusing on lithium and graphite;
  5. Produce Solar potential map for Zimbabwe;
  6. Develop malaria prevalence map for Zimbabwe;
  7. Develop bilharzia prevalence map for Zimbabwe;
  8. Develop Geodatabases for farms
  9. PROGRESS TO DATE

• In talks with local and International partners to develop collaborative and operations framework;
      In progress…

• ZINGSA was advanced US$10million by the Ministry of Finance to implement Geospatial Capability programmes; specifically, Geospatial Capability for mapping A1 and A2 farms through satellite imagery to facilitate issuance of 99-year leases and A1 Settlement Permits in Zimbabwe.
      In progress

·
Registered
753 Posts
^^ZIMBABWE SPACE AGENCY PROJECTS.
Apparently they have US$25 million more between 2021 to 2023 for buildings & research stuff. as long the money is going torwads the purpose I don’t mind too much but this is zanu we’re are talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Interesting article from french website last year.
Zimbabwe universities show innovation to help fight Covid-19

Like the rest of southern Africa, Zimbabwe is bracing for Covid-19 cases to climb. But there's been an unexpected publicity boost for its universities, which are producing face masks, hand sanitiser.

Meantime – and to some scepticism – the Harare Institute of Technology has produced a prototype oxygen ventilator. Zimbabwe, like many countries in Africa, is critically short of the machines.
Zimbabwe has 20 universities and a number of polytechnics.
Now though, with its doors closed to students, UZ is producing hand sanitisers and there are plans for it to produce intravenous fluids.

Helping save lives

Africa University, just outside the eastern city of Mutare, has a Facebook feed full of pictures of the hand sanitiser the institution's department of public health and nursing is producing with funding provided by Old Mutual Zimbabwe, a finance company. The department expects to be able to provide 550 bottles per day.

In the north of the country, the Chinhoyi University of Technology – of which young opposition MP Joana Mamombe, 27, is an alumnus – has got its Fashion Textile Department producing 3,500 face masks per day.
Zimbabwe universities are more often seen by locals as degree factories in a country where skilled job opportunities are limited due to economic turmoil. Their function as generators of research and innovation is less well known.

Ivory towers no more

"Are we turning universities into production plants and test centres now?” asked one bemused Twitter user, when it was reported at the end of last month that the National University of Science and Technology’s laboratories – located in Bulawayo – were suitable to test for Covid-19.
GZU is now a factory and Nust now to be a test site!?

Other Twitter users jumped in to defend the new role for the country's tertiary institutions.

"That's what universities are for. Research and availing their knowledge and skills to the people. Not mere ivory towers giving people papers, gowns and caps," said one.

"This is a positive thing with our universities now,"

"They were producing academics who do not actually provide practical solutions to the problems that we are facing in the country. This Covid-19 pandemic has actually brought about the innovation – that universities play a positive role in terms of assisting the nation."

Import substitution
President Emmerson Mnangagwa himself says the coming together of local universities and companies to provide essential materials for the health sector is a “silver lining to the present global health crisis”.

“It is commendable that local industries and universities have become hubs for import substitution.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mnangagwa on Wednesday officially commissioned the National Data Center (NDC) in the capital Harare as his government aims to digitalize the public services sector and to modernize the economy. The data center was completed with assistance from the Chinese government. (Photo by Wanda/Xinhua)

·
Registered
42 Posts
It’s on going they allocated it $US12 million in 2019 but it was basically eaten (cut by 50%)by inflation whlist construction was halted due to COVID-19. They have allocated it the equivalent of US$2 million dollars in 2021.

There are also plans for harare-vicfalls-kariba using one of the new air zimbabwe embraer 145.

I guess most of the US$6 million for smaller airports will go to kariba since buffalo airport is in good shape & regular maintained by the sugar corporates & tour operators

Whlist I hear mutare grand reef airport has stalled due to a bribe demand of US$20 million to the private developers by politicians
View attachment 1282355
Mutare really deserves a mordern airport, considering the huge tourism potential of the Eastern Highlands

·
Registered
90 Posts
Victoria Falls Evolution - Luxury development with hotels, conference centre and retail in Zimbabwe
But this is someone just enjoying conseptualising what is not being considered in reality no? Surely no such developments will or should take place in such a small town as Vic Falls.....which its main attraction is Wild Life, Nature and the Falls. Its the same thing as Chiwenga saying there should be a formula 1 circuit built there. Some of us would chose nature over such developments. Other parts of Zim...including Harare and Bulawayo, the major cities are yearning for refurbishment and development. They dont have wildlife...take these ideas there i would say.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mutare really deserves a mordern airport, considering the huge tourism potential of the Eastern Highlands
In my opinion the low hanging fruit is right there already. RAILWAY! Its much cheaper in terms of initial investment and easier/ cheaper to mantain...and can carry many more people + goods at cheaper rates. Something else more important than tourism about Mutare is its proximity to the Beira port. Honestly if played right the farm produce, the minerals, exports and imports etc can make that place an economic HUB. Beira is literally a few hours away...and boom the rest of the world. In the 1980s Zim was electrifying its rail system..that went no where cause of corruption...but it could take about 2hrs from Harare to Mutare. Which is actually not that long. I do think with visionary leadership.... Beitbridge & Mutare can become key economic centres solely due to promixity to ports that link Zim to the outside world (Mutare has more going for it as there is a lot of farming and tourism as well). The upgrade of the Beitbridge border post ....is visionary ...decades late...but hey...hanzi ane benzi nderake rika seka topururudza

·
Registered
753 Posts
But this is someone just enjoying conseptualising what is not being considered in reality no? Surely no such developments will or should take place in such a small town as Vic Falls.....which its main attraction is Wild Life, Nature and the Falls. Its the same thing as Chiwenga saying there should be a formula 1 circuit built there. Some of us would chose nature over such developments. Other parts of Zim...including Harare and Bulawayo, the major cities are yearning for refurbishment and development. They dont have wildlife...take these ideas there i would say.
haha the Chiwenga one was a joke the investor didn’t have capacity but they still had them on zbc which made me think it could happen even if it didn’t look as promised.
I think the investor was doing something until covid but it couldn’t host F1 as promised maybe some regional races

vicfalls has many advantages especially before covid it’s a billion dollar economy for a population of 40k so it will naturally have projects. The projects are real designs for a hotel & conference centre funded by old Mutual
It was supposed to start in 2020 One wonders if they will go ahead after the disaster year tourism had.
Old mutual has a lot off cash but they don’t believe Harare or Bulawayo cbd have the best return on investment for them.

That is why the buildings are no more than 4 floors as per vic falls zoning laws so that nature is preserved.

·
Registered
753 Posts
In my opinion the low hanging fruit is right there already. RAILWAY! Its much cheaper in terms of initial investment and easier/ cheaper to mantain...and can carry many more people + goods at cheaper rates. Something else more important than tourism about Mutare is its proximity to the Beira port. Honestly if played right the farm produce, the minerals, exports and imports etc can make that place an economic HUB. Beira is literally a few hours away...and boom the rest of the world. In the 1980s Zim was electrifying its rail system..that went no where cause of corruption...but it could take about 2hrs from Harare to Mutare. Which is actually not that long. I do think with visionary leadership.... Beitbridge & Mutare can become key economic centres solely due to promixity to ports that link Zim to the outside world (Mutare has more going for it as there is a lot of farming and tourism as well). The upgrade of the Beitbridge border post ....is visionary ...decades late...but hey...hanzi ane benzi nderake rika seka topururudza
Yes modernising the railways is a must I agree with you if they had upgraded or started works on rail I would have given them a boost on their performance.

It doesn’t take much to restart nrz they own soo much real estate in Zimbabwe, massive mining claims/prime land in South Africa through a company called PAMDC plus properties worth hundreds of millions of pounds in central London selling a few of those assets would wip out all their debt and give them enough money to redo the entire rail network .The problem is removing the vested interests there enjoying these assets & stopping developments.

The Mutare airport project was the brainchild of local businessmen who can see the financial potential but obviously its stalling is a story we have seen before many times.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There where doing some work last year it might not be a circuit that will be used by f1 but I think there was scope for such investment in vic falls pre covid. remember even if people come to vic falls for the nature you want them to stay for as long as possible & make them spend as much as possible. Vic falls definitely needs a huge confrence centre delegates often run out space.

it will also have new office spaces because of the new tax incentives and laxed forex exchange controls put in place last year , plus newly launched vfex I mean why have ur head office in Harare when u can be exempt from taxes in vicfalls?

New Vic Falls sporting facility a boom for sports tourism

The Zambezi River International Circuit (ZRIC) – a Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) certified motor racing circuit – is under construction 30km east of Victoria Falls, along the Batoka Gorge on the Zambezi River.

The racing circuit, spearheaded by Nanta Safaris, is one of the major attractions on the 500-hectare estate and will also offer new activities such as leisure motor racing, driving super cars and drag racing.

Nanta Safaris Director, Philani Mpofu, said the race course, designed with a conservation and safari theme, would host Formula 1 cars, other Formulas racing cars, supers cars such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royces and Bentleys.

Given the present economic challenges we expect the project to be fully operational three years after commencement of racecourse construction. However, given the size of the project we should see some activities starting as soon as the end of this year.”

Mpofu said the racecourse was shaped in the form of a de-horned rhino to highlight the plight of this endangered species.

Other facilities within the development would include a 325m pit garage, conferencing and venue facilities, 1.2km drag strip, 1 070m go-karting, medical facility, theme-park, gorge coasters, cracking glass sky walkway, and a live conservation theme park headlined by a full-scale replica of Noah’s Ark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think its a good idea that such a development should take place in Vic Falls. I believe that in a country, development should be spread instead of being concentrated in one place. Such is the case in Zimbabwe where good things are found in Harare, and nowhere else.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think its a good idea that such a development should take place in Vic Falls. I believe that in a country, development should be spread instead of being concentrated in one place. Such is the case in Zimbabwe where good things are found in Harare, and nowhere else.
I agree with you that development must be spread and not only be in major Cities or Harare. The point i am making is.....what sort of development is best suited for which places (?) I dont think doing too much at Vic Falls will be in the best interest of wildlife, wildlife that has been the reason the place has thrived in the first place. Not sure how recent you have been to Vic falls but the Ghetto there has grown threfolds by now futher eating away wildlife space...massive construction on river banks as well, especially on the Zambian side where regulations seem more lux than in Zim. Wildlife is losing out massively, not sure thats good in my opinion, considering there is loads of space else in Zim to work with, space that has no wildlife or other potential conflicts.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Beitbridge expansion

The US$ 240 million scope of works included in phase 1 is a full upgrade of the border terminals where by 3 new terminal buildings will be constructed and all related systems will be upgraded. In addition, other works include developing the fire station, housing, sewer line, housing electrical supply, reservoir, water pipeline and sewage treatment plant. The project is currently underway.

Current border

Future border

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes modernising the railways is a must I agree with you if they had upgraded or started works on rail I would have given them a boost on their performance.

It doesn’t take much to restart nrz they own soo much real estate in Zimbabwe, massive mining claims/prime land in South Africa through a company called PAMDC plus properties worth hundreds of millions of pounds in central London selling a few of those assets would wip out all their debt and give them enough money to redo the entire rail network .The problem is removing the vested interests there enjoying these assets & stopping developments.

The Mutare airport project was the brainchild of local businessmen who can see the financial potential but obviously its stalling is a story we have seen before many times.
On NRZ I always wonder what makes them hang on to foreign properties and mining claims. South African government might end up taking over the assets as what NRZ is doing could be seen as speculative actions. A lot of young people over there are hungry for the land.

·
Registered
753 Posts
On NRZ I always wonder what makes them hang on to foreign properties and mining claims. South African government might end up taking over the assets as what NRZ is doing could be seen as speculative actions. A lot of young people over there and are hungry for the land.
South Africa govt wanted to take it with the law which they passed which states that all mines & land be long to the state. since the amount of land/mining claims is just crazy something like 2 million herctares they came to an agreement were by they have equal shares with sa.

it’s currently a double edge sword because you wouldn’t want to sell the assets & then nrz gets nothing. Look at what the did with their local properties which are supposed to be giving them around US$50 million a year they loaned them out for a few thousand to “space barons”
The CIO gets money from some of these foreign properties instead of it being used for rail.
Ideally you would want nrz to be part privatised & put on the stock exchange before any assets are sold by these corporate raiders

401 - 420 of 739 Posts