SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zrmanja, Krupa and Krnjeza

69 km long Zrmanja and it's biggest tributary Krupa probably belong to the most stunning rivers in Croatia. Down on it's way to the "Novigradsko More" the river flows through some very impressive canons and tumbles numerous of waterfalls down.

Zrmanja

Visoki Buk

Obrovac

Krupa

Krupa joins the Zrmanja

Kudin Most

Krnjeza

Krnjeza joins Krupa

i hope u like it :cheers:

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Thanks Elilo! :)

Some of the scenery of the Zrmanja river in and around the town of Obrovac is stunning. Its also refreshing to drink the cool water flowing in the river during a scorching hot summers day. Better than any bottled water. :yes:

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Thanks for the tour, Elilo :eek:kay:
I was really unfamiliar with that certain corner of Croatia, didn't know it looked this interesting :)

However, Obrovac looks a "little" less interesting though :laugh:

Obrovac :

:cheers:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I went for a looksee to the Zrmanja River Valley & Obrovac in 1995, its such a beautiful location. One of my maternal great grandmothers comes from Jasenice in between Obrovac & Maslenica :)

The Zrmanja was on the HRT news a few days ago, some corporate white water rafting challenge was taking place there. There is much scope to develop that kind of tourism on the Zrmanja & Krka Rivers in Northern Dalmatia :cool:

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Yeah, Obrovac is nice. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited the town the year after its liberation in 1996. I wouldn't mind living there myself. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
SinCity said:
Yeah, Obrovac is nice. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited the town the year after its liberation in 1996. I wouldn't mind living there myself. :)
Fortunately Obrovac wasn't damaged in the fighting, although they did experience a minor flood there about a month or so ago. Its a really attractive location at ground level, you feel like you are in a canyon, well I suppose you are :)

Would be a great place to buy some land to build a house and maybe a few apartments. Wonder what the price of land is out there?

The whole Novigradsko & Karinsko More areas are lovely, I remember going swimming in Novigrad when I was a kid.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Arpels said:
tremendous landscape and the water is so cleen, is a protected area?
It is not a national park but it is sparsely populated and there is no industry there so there is no major ecological threat, but still I think a push to turn part of the river valley into a State Reserve or National Park is a good idea IMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
according to this map it's a part of a nature park and the "Green Belt Velebit area"

Explanation for the Green Belt area: The Green Belt area consists of a system of core protected areas, corridor zones for human activities compatible with wildlife migration, and surrounding buffer zones where protection and development needs are integrated and the local community can economically and socially benefit from their natural heritage

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
SinCity said:
Obrovac is nice.
Really?? I've been there some 6-8 yrs ago and I remember it as the worst looking Croatian town... Has it really changed so much? Or was I too young (13 :) )?

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
snupix said:
Really?? I've been there some 6-8 yrs ago and I remember it as the worst looking Croatian town... Has it really changed so much? Or was I too young (13 :) )?
Hehe. :D

I guess its ones own perception. It certainly isnt like nearby Zadar, Sibenik etc.

Its only a small town but I liked the way in which the river passes through the centre. Being in an economically depressed region doesn't help either. It was certainly better than other towns in the area. Its got potential.

·
Registered
674 Posts
snupix said:
I was last there about a decade ago, and the town itself looked very run down, its appeal was its picturesque location rather than it buildings. Not sure what it is like today, many Croatian refugees from BiH have moved to Obrovac. Still, amazing what some paint, paving and landscaping can do to a place. I think it could be an excellent base for tourism to the Zrmanja River Valley and parts of the Velebit mountains. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts