SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Metrophile
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures from my recent visit to Zurich. I tried to spot interesting buildings and unusual views all over the city.

An unusual way to ski:

A gay-friendly hotel in the middle of the old town:

If you are interested in prostitutes, this is the street to visit:

A sex shop in the old town:

After all this beauty, here is the worst eyesore in the city:

Note the wonderful building just behind it.

A really majestic building:

Zurich has 3 peculiar railways climbing up the hills in the eastern part. Here are 2 of them:

Rigiblick funicular:

Dolderbahn:

One would expect a better view, but unfortunately buildings and trees hide it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It isn't too big actually. It's something around 370 00, and a million in the metropol region. Nevertheless, it's Switzerlands largest city. And at the same time said to be one of the smallest world cities.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is english widely understood there?
My experience is that in german speaking countries, english is not that well understood. For example, some store clerks, waiters, etc spoke zero english and I had to use "sign language"... ha.. ha...

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Nice thanks for showing us that beutiful city.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
My experience is that in german speaking countries, english is not that well understood. For example, some store clerks, waiters, etc spoke zero english and I had to use "sign language"... ha.. ha...
English is widely spoken here in most restaurants and shops. Most people speak a little bit of English. Zurich is probably one of Europe's most international cities.

@nastyathenian: Good Fotos, glad you enjoyed your visit to Zurich!
Actually this is not a Sex Shop, rather a shop specialized in condoms.

·
Registered
623 Posts
English is widely spoken here in most restaurants and shops. Most people speak a little bit of English. Zurich is probably one of Europe's most international cities.

@nastyathenian: Good Fotos, glad you enjoyed your visit to Zurich!
Actually this is not a Sex Shop, rather a shop specialized in condoms.
thanks... I plan to visit Zurich no later than end of this year .... :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nearly everybody in Zurich speaks at least a little bit English.
After German, English is the most used language in Zurich (in my office the language being used is 90% English and 10% German ;))

very villagey
Because nearly all pictures are from the historical area...

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
Nice pictures! And a lot of Kreis 6 - have been there to study or just for vacation?

The "Sex shop" is BTW only a condom shop where you can buy any kind and taste and flavour of condoms you like. Originally the Niederdorf where this and some other pics have been taken was the red light district til about the 80s, nowadays it's more at Langstrasse in Kreis 4

Used to live just 100m on the right of the photographer's spot here:

The eyesore actually IS the shame of Zurich - the profosorical building has been damaging the cityscape since the 60s and had some really violent and troublesome past.

BTW Zurich is growing in pop quite a lot these years. The city was biggest in 1970 with about 440k but only 700k including suburbs. Because of a strong suburbanisation it was shrinking to 340k while the agglomeration was growing to 1mio. Now the city (the municipal area is only 80km2) has again close to 380k while the closer agglomeration has 1.1mio, the wider agglomeration (including Baden, Zug or Winterthur) 1.8mio and the Metropolitanraum (Greater Zurich Area) 3.2mio - that's including an area where the trip is shorter than 90min, excluding other big agglomerations as Bern or Basel. Stretching from Solothurn to Konstanz.

·
Metrophile
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice pictures! And a lot of Kreis 6 - have been there to study or just for vacation?
Studies? Not at my age. It was a short tourist visit. This time I had the chance to explore most of the city and take a lot of pictures. In my previous visit, 2 years ago, I used Zurich as a base in order to explore other parts of Switzerland.

It is on the top of my list of the most impressive cities in Europe. As for its boundaries, I only consider the area covered by the tramway network as Zurich. Zug and Winterthur definitely do not belong there.

I suppose that Kreis 6 is the area on the North-East of the main railway station. I discovered it by riding the trams. It is a pity that all those impressive buildings are hidden from tourists' eyes.

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
I used to live in Kreis 6 (North/Northeast from the main station, yes) and 1.

Some buslines cross the city borders and the tramlines once used to (e.g. to Schlieren). If you go by pt then you have to count the ZVV network, VBZ only covers the city area and some close suburbs as you said. The city area is only relativelly small because of restrictive margings of municipalities - Basel and Geneva are even much smaller, the overbuild area on the other hand spreads quite far and hosts about 1mio people (only 1/3 lives in the actual city bounderies - see also Paris or Barcelona).

·
Registered
5 Posts
great photos. thx! :D

how about those mountainous areas we always see in bollywood films? post those next!

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
They are mostly shot in Bernese Oberland (see picture), about 3 hours drive from Zurich. But I also saw already Bollywood movies where the mountain scene was shot close to Zurich (Glarner Alpen).

See my avatar ;)

·
Banned
679 Posts
Snif, I could name every single place shown in these picures! I have so many wonderful memories of this city :) and BTW, there are very nice views from the Zurichberg, no need to use one of these funiculars, just get on tram #6 till the last stop (zoo) and walk along the side of the hill, no houses or trees block your view from there :p
oh and yeh, the Coop on top of the Limmat is truly horrible, but... it's very practical :D

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
great photos. thx! :D

how about those mountainous areas we always see in bollywood films? post those next!
In one of the next bollywood films you will see at least one scene playing on the square between the Mainstation and the Bahnhofstrasse...I saw an Indian production team taking some scenes there a few weeks ago :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts